A Cook County jury signed a verdict for $1,100,000 for Martin Bader and his wife Julia. They sued Giovanni Melendez-Ortiz in 2015 when it was alleged that the defendant, Melendez-Ortiz, was negligent as he drove across the center line on Green Bay Road near Keith Avenue in Waukegan, Ill., and drove the wrong way on Green Bay Road. In doing so, Melendez-Ortiz crashed head-on into the Bader vehicle.
The jury’s verdict of $1.1 million was made up of the following damages:
- $72,487.48 for past medical expenses;
- $50,000 for future medical care;
- $250,000 for past loss of normal life;
- $250,000 for future loss of normal life;
- $250,000 for past pain and suffering; and
- $250,000 for future pain and suffering.
The total verdict reached was $1,122,487.48.