Car Accidents FAQs

After a car accident, drivers and passengers may be seriously injured. Those involved and family members should be capable of answering the most common questions about auto accidents and compensation for injuries.

Car accidents happen when we least expect them. In a car accident, drivers and passengers ask, “What should I do right after a car accident occurs?”

If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, call 911. Even if there is no injury to any of the passengers, a non-emergency call should still be made to the local police. Try to keep and maintain a diary of how you are feeling, your doctor or physical therapy appointments and how much time you missed from your job.

Q. What information is most important after a car accident?

A. In any car accident even a minor one, it is important to talk to the other drivers of motor vehicles involved in the crash. A person involved in the collision should exchange names, addresses, phone numbers and insurance information with all others involved. That would include writing down the driver’s license numbers, state issued plate number and whether the person driving was the owner of the motor vehicle.

Assume that the police would respond to a call and arrive at the crash scene. Ask the police officers for their contact information as well as a copy of the incident report or a report number for future reference. Make notes about how the occurrence took place and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of each witness that may be willing to come forward. If you have the ability, take photographs of the place of the crash, the vehicles involved and their positions at the crash scene.

Q. What can be done to preserve evidence of the facts of the automobile accident?

A. Although injuries may be severe, the practicalities of taking photographs and asking question of witnesses may not be possible. If it is possible, photographs of the scene are critical. In addition, photographs of the vehicles involved, depicting the damage to each and all the information about the persons involved should be recorded somehow. If it’s not possible to do that at the scene, it is suggested that persons involved in accidents like these return to the scene and take photographs of the intersection, or the streets or road or highways where the crash took place. Make sure that you contact an attorney soon after the car crash as possible so that you may receive accurate advice directly from an experienced attorney.

Q. Should the police be called?

A. The police should be always notified of a car accident, even if it’s a low impact, incidental crash. The police will prepare a crash report, incident report or police report that can document the names, addresses, phone numbers, and license numbers of each of the participants in the motor vehicle crash. You should also hire a lawyer to investigate and give advice to you as to what steps need to be taken.

Q. If the other driver’s insurance adjuster should call me, should I speak to them?

It is never advisable to give a telephone statement to the other driver’s insurance adjuster. Even though it seems innocent enough, those statements are never helpful. In the event that you receive that telephone call, refer the person to your attorney or simply state that you are in the process of hiring an attorney and would prefer not speaking to anyone until you have hired an attorney to assist you.

Q. What makes a successful automobile accident claim?

A. The first and foremost is to contact an experienced car accident attorney to help sort through the nuances of a car accident. That includes receiving all medical attention, reporting the incident to the person’s insurance carrier and to preserve as much as possible all of the evidence involved. This includes photographs, names, addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses and other parties involved. That may include passengers in other vehicles.

Q. When will my automobile accident claim be settled and resolved?

A. In many cases automobile accidents reveal an obvious party at fault. In practice, once all of the facts are retrieved, the medical records, lost time from work and all other specifics of the person’s injuries are made available to the insurance adjuster for the party at fault, cases like that often settle for a fair and reasonable amount. It is always up to the client to determine what is best for him or her in terms of settlement. It is also important to remember that many times even though the party at fault makes a settlement offer, it may not include the out-of-pocket expenses to cover the damage to the vehicles or medical expenses that may not have been covered by the medical insurance. In any event, there may be hospital or physician liens that may be negotiated as well as subrogation claims made by health insurance carriers, all of which are part of the lawyer’s job in resolving. If the liability issues are unclear, cases like that may lead to lawsuits. In any event, no claims should be settled without having all of the medical information, including bills, reports and other damages, including lost time from work in hand. It is also critical to know that the injured party’s medical condition has plateaued or the injuries have resolved. Investigation of the accident should include interviewing witnesses to the occurrence.

Q. What type of compensation would an injured person receive in an automobile accident?

A. In combination of all medical bills, lost time from work, pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of normal life, loss of society and other damages are available in Illinois for a person who was injured in an automobile accident. Every case is different. The value of a case is dependent on these damage items as well as the degree of fault and the nature and extent of the injuries. All of these factors must be weighed carefully.

Q. If I were partially at fault for the accident., but the other party was more at fault, can I recover?

A. In Illinois, comparative fault is the rule. That means that if you were injured in an automobile accident but you were less than 50% at fault, you can still recover for damages that you have suffered, including lost time from your job or lost income. The threshold is 50% at fault. In a jury case, the total damages would be reduced by the contributory fault percentage that was found as to the plaintiff or the party who brought the lawsuit.

Q. Can I recover from an uninsured motorist?

A. In Illinois, it is required that automobile insurers provide for uninsured motorist coverage which means that if you were injured by an uninsured motorist, you may recover from your own insurer for your injuries, lost time from work and other damages that you have suffered.

If you or someone you know have been injured in a car accident, please call us for a free immediate consultation. Robert Kreisman of Kreisman Law Offices has been handling Chicago and Illinois car accidents for more than 40 years.

Kreisman Law Offices has prevailed in trials and settlements in Chicago, Illinois and surrounding areas and successfully resolved cases for severely injured clients for over these many years.

With our years of experience in trying and settling automobile accident cases, Kreisman Law Offices provides the best possible services to our clients and have achieved unsurpassed results. Our service is unmatched. Please call us 24 hours a day at 312.346.0045 or toll free 800.583.8002 for a free and immediate consultation, or complete a contact form online. There is no charge for a consultation that will include an evaluation of your case, assessment of your damages such as lost income, lost wages, medical and hospital bills, past and future pain and suffering, loss of normal life and wrongful death.

Q. What information should I receive from other drivers after a car crash?

  • Write down the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the other drivers involved.
  • Write down the license plate numbers of all of the vehicles involved in the crash.
  • Record the names and contact information of all the passengers and witnesses who are at the scene of the car accident.
  • Record the names and insurance policy numbers of the auto insurance carrier for all of the drivers and/or owners involved in the car accident.

Q. Do I talk with the police after the accident?

Yes. Every witness or participant driver or passenger may be asked questions by a police officer. The accident should be explained to the police officer, honestly describing what happened.

Q. Do I notify my automobile insurance company?

Even if you do not believe you are at fault for the car accident, you should immediately call your insurance company to report the car accident. Insurance companies require that its insured report accidents as soon as possible after they occur. You will be asked questions in general about how the accident occurred and what parties were involved. You should also contact an attorney if you have questions about injuries or responsibility for the car accident.

Q. Should I speak to the other driver’s insurance company representative?

You should contact an experience car accident attorney to learn about what your rights are. You should never give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company. It is one of those situations that never seem to benefit you. Many times insurance companies would try to ask the questions in such a way as to transfer fault to you rather than its insured party. It would make no difference in the outcome should you refuse to give a statement to the other party’s insurance company representative.

Q. Should I seek medical attention even if I feel I’m not hurt?

Although you may have been in a car accident where the impact was slight, but didn’t feel injured at the time, you may not feel the same hours later. Often times individuals involved in car accidents feel the pain and the onset of injury hours or days later. It’s very important to be examined by a physician soon after the accident as is possible. Do not wait to see your doctor if you have any change in your medical condition.

Q. What other information should I obtain at the scene of the crash?

  • Take pictures even if it’s on your mobile phone of the scene, the individuals involved and the vehicles.
  • Take photographs of your physical injuries, such as cuts, bruises, wraps, braces, crutches.
  • Take pictures of the other vehicles.
  • Take scene photographs from different angles of where the accident occurred even if it’s at a later date.

Q. When is it appropriate to contact a lawyer?

You should contact a lawyer that specifically handles car accidents and is experienced. By contacting a lawyer, you will learn very quickly what your rights and obligations might be. You also might learn how important it is that you not speak to the other insurance company representative or give statements to anyone other than an attorney. By contacting an attorney, your matter will be investigated, witnesses interviewed, accident reconstruction done, police reports retrieved and medical records and bills ordered.

If you are a loved one is involved in a car accident contact Kreisman Law Offices. Since 1976, the lawyers at Kreisman Law Offices have been handling car accidents for individuals and families. The lawyers at Kreisman Law Offices offer free consultation by calling 312.346.0045 or toll free 800.583.8002 or complete a contact form online. We are here to assist you and your family so that the responsible parties are held accountable for the injuries or death to drivers and passengers of cars or trucks involved in car accidents.

Client Reviews
“We were devastated when our 31 year-old son was killed by a negligent driver. Kreisman Law Offices did everything to help us through this very difficult time, including coming out to the house several times which was a comfort. My wife and I were extremely pleased with Mr. Kreisman’s compassion and care for this very tragic and troubling time.” C.B.
“Bob Kreisman did everything possible in handling the trial of this case. It was devastating that I traumatically lost my leg above the knee in this truck accident. However, it was not an easy case to win. His staff was so prepared for the trial that it was not surprising that the settlement offers continued to rise until we finally accepted the multi-million settlement while the jury was still deciding the case. My wife and I were delighted that we could secure our future with this settlement. We thank Mr. Kreisman and his incredible staff for working so hard for our benefit.” T.P.
“My mother died because doctors dropped the ball. I called Robert Kreisman and he immediately set up an appointment for my entire family. We met at his offices and I was very comfortable that he would do the best for my dad and my brothers. He spent hours with all of us in preparing for depositions and he hired top notch experts, all of which contributed to an incredible settlement before trial. I know that he is dedicated to his cases and particularly to the people he works for and the people who work with him. He continues to be generous in contributing annually to my mother’s memory and to make known to the public the signs and symptoms of brain tumors.” V.S.
“My dad was ignored and mistreated at the nursing home that we placed him in. It didn’t take long for us to realize that we made a big mistake, particularly after my dad developed these terrible bedsores. We transferred him as we were contacting Mr. Kreisman. He was referred to us by a lawyer we have known for a long time and respect his opinion. Mr. Kreisman and his staff worked tirelessly to resolve this case. We were fortunate to have his services and will recommend him to anyone.” T.J.