Robert D. Kreisman Peer Review Rated
Justia Lawyer Rating for Robert D. Kreisman
AVVO Robert D. Kreisman Top Attorney
Super Lawyers
Illinois State Bar Association
American Association for Justice
AAJ Master of Trial Law

Car Accidents Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Car accidents happen when we least expect them. In a car accident, drivers and passengers ask, “What should I do right after a car accident occurs?”

If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, call 911. Even if there is no injury to any of the passengers, a non-emergency call should still be made to the local police. Try to keep and maintain a diary of how you are feeling, your doctor or physical therapy appointments and how much time you missed from your job.

Q. What information should I receive from other drivers after a car crash?

  • Write down the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the other drivers involved.
  • Write down the license plate numbers of all of the vehicles involved in the crash.
  • Record the names and contact information of all the passengers and witnesses who are at the scene of the car accident.
  • Record the names and insurance policy numbers of the auto insurance carrier for all of the drivers and/or owners involved in the car accident.

Q. Do I talk with the police after the accident?

Yes. Every witness or participant driver or passenger may be asked questions by a police officer. The accident should be explained to the police officer, honestly describing what happened.

Q. Do I notify my automobile insurance company?

Even if you do not believe you are at fault for the car accident, you should immediately call your insurance company to report the car accident. Insurance companies require that its insured report accidents as soon as possible after they occur. You will be asked questions in general about how the accident occurred and what parties were involved. You should also contact an attorney if you have questions about injuries or responsibility for the car accident.

Q. Should I speak to the other driver’s insurance company representative?

You should contact an experience car accident attorney to learn about what your rights are. You should never give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company. It is one of those situations that never seem to benefit you. Many times insurance companies would try to ask the questions in such a way as to transfer fault to you rather than its insured party. It would make no difference in the outcome should you refuse to give a statement to the other party’s insurance company representative.

Q. Should I seek medical attention even if I feel I’m not hurt?

Although you may have been in a car accident where the impact was slight, but didn’t feel injured at the time, you may not feel the same hours later. Often times individuals involved in car accidents feel the pain and the onset of injury hours or days later. It’s very important to be examined by a physician soon after the accident as is possible. Do not wait to see your doctor if you have any change in your medical condition.

Q. What other information should I obtain at the scene of the crash?

  • Take pictures even if it’s on your mobile phone of the scene, the individuals involved and the vehicles.
  • Take photographs of your physical injuries, such as cuts, bruises, wraps, braces, crutches.
  • Take pictures of the other vehicles.
  • Take scene photographs from different angles of where the accident occurred even if it’s at a later date.

Q. When is it appropriate to contact a lawyer?

You should contact a lawyer that specifically handles car accidents and is experienced. By contacting a lawyer, you will learn very quickly what your rights and obligations might be. You also might learn how important it is that you not speak to the other insurance company representative or give statements to anyone other than an attorney. By contacting an attorney, your matter will be investigated, witnesses interviewed, accident reconstruction done, police reports retrieved and medical records and bills ordered.

If you are a loved one is involved in a car accident contact Kreisman Law Offices. Since 1976, the lawyers at Kreisman Law Offices have been handling car accidents for individuals and families. The lawyers at Kreisman Law Offices offer free consultation by calling 312.346.0045 or toll free 800.583.8002 or complete a contact form online. We are here to assist you and your family so that the responsible parties are held accountable for the injuries or death to drivers and passengers of cars or trucks involved in car accidents.

Client Reviews
“We were devastated when our 31 year-old son was killed by a negligent driver. Kreisman Law Offices did everything to help us through this very difficult time, including coming out to the house several times which was a comfort. My wife and I were extremely pleased with Mr. Kreisman’s compassion and care for this very tragic and troubling time.” C.B.
“Bob Kreisman did everything possible in handling the trial of this case. It was devastating that I traumatically lost my leg above the knee in this truck accident. However, it was not an easy case to win. His staff was so prepared for the trial that it was not surprising that the settlement offers continued to rise until we finally accepted the multi-million settlement while the jury was still deciding the case. My wife and I were delighted that we could secure our future with this settlement. We thank Mr. Kreisman and his incredible staff for working so hard for our benefit.” T.P.
“My mother died because doctors dropped the ball. I called Robert Kreisman and he immediately set up an appointment for my entire family. We met at his offices and I was very comfortable that he would do the best for my dad and my brothers. He spent hours with all of us in preparing for depositions and he hired top notch experts, all of which contributed to an incredible settlement before trial. I know that he is dedicated to his cases and particularly to the people he works for and the people who work with him. He continues to be generous in contributing annually to my mother’s memory and to make known to the public the signs and symptoms of brain tumors.” V.S.
“My dad was ignored and mistreated at the nursing home that we placed him in. It didn’t take long for us to realize that we made a big mistake, particularly after my dad developed these terrible bedsores. We transferred him as we were contacting Mr. Kreisman. He was referred to us by a lawyer we have known for a long time and respect his opinion. Mr. Kreisman and his staff worked tirelessly to resolve this case. We were fortunate to have his services and will recommend him to anyone.” T.J.