$24.9 Million Jury Verdict Entered After Hospital and Doctors Failed to Timely Diagnose and Treat Blood Clot

Virginia Schneider, 18, went to Griffin Hospital to be treated for a severe asthma attack. In the process of evaluating her condition, emergency physicians Dr. Gregory Boris and Dr. Alyssa French learned of her left leg pain and numbness. The doctors ordered an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. When the ultrasound revealed an abnormality in the popliteal artery, the doctors consulted the on-call vascular surgeon, Dr. Marsel Huribal.

Dr. Huribal instructed the emergency room physicians to order a CT scan, which was read offsite by a radiologist, Dr. Jennifer Bryant. Although the full text of Dr. Bryant’s report was never transmitted to the hospital, Dr. French learned and later informed Dr. Huribal that there was a portion of the artery in Schneider’s leg that appeared to be blocked. Nevertheless, Dr. Huribal concluded that she did not have a blood clot.

The next day, radiologist Dr. Gregory Bell reviewed the CT scan and contacted Dr. Huribal who reiterated that he did not believe that Schneider had a blood clot. Over the following weekend, her condition deteriorated rapidly. At an appointment several days later, her foot was found to lack pulses, and she was rushed to the hospital. Despite multiple procedures to restore circulation in the leg, it was concluded that her leg had to be amputated.

As a machinist, Schneider missed several months of work so that she could undergo surgery, including revision and physical therapy. She now uses a lower leg prosthesis, which causes her discomfort and limits her ability to engage in athletic activities that she previously enjoyed.

She sued Griffin Hospital, Dr. French, Dr. Bell, Dr. Huribal and his employer, and Dr. Bryant and her employer, alleging that they were all responsible for choosing not to timely diagnose and treat a blood clot in her popliteal artery. Schneider alleged that at the time of her hospital admission, the blood clot was just partially occlusive and therefore could have been successfully treated with anticoagulants.

Schneider reached undisclosed settlements with Drs. French, Bell and Griffin as well as Griffin Hospital. The lawsuit and trial continued as to Dr. Huribal, his employer and Dr. Bryant and her employer. The jury signed a verdict for $24.9 million. It apportioned liability at 60% to Dr. Huribal and his employer; 35% to Griffin Hospital; and 5% to Dr. Bryant and her employer.

The attorneys who successfully handled this case for Virginia Schneider were Joshua D. Koskoff and Katie Mesner-Hage.
At the jury trial, Schneider’s lawyers presented experts in life-care planning, economics, prosthetics and vascular surgery. The defendants presented experts in vascular surgery and emergency medicine at this trial.

Schneider v. Southern Connecticut Vascular Center, LLC, Nos. CV-12-6031521 S, CV-12-603722 S (Conn. Super Ct. Fairfield Judicial District, Bridgeport).

Kreisman Law Offices has been handling medical malpractice cases, misdiagnosis cases, medical negligence cases causing amputation, nursing home abuse and negligence cases and birth trauma injury cases for individuals and families who have been harmed, injured or died as a result of the carelessness or negligence of a medical provider for more than 40 years in and around Chicago, Cook County and its surrounding communities, including Justice, Bridgeview, Bedford Park, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Lemont, Itasca, Arlington Heights, Wheeling, Prospect Heights, Deerfield, Northfield, Glencoe, Glenview, Wilmette, Yorkfield, Westchester, Chicago (Midway, Archer Heights, Brighton Park, Little Village, Lawndale, Garfield Park, Stockyards, Englewood, Marquette Park, Gresham, Beverly, Washington Heights), Calumet Park and Blue Island, Ill.

Related blog posts:

Illinois Appellate Court Reverses Dismissal of a Wrongful-Death Lawsuit as to a Physician on the Issue of Apparent Agency

$975,000 Settlement Reached in Negligent Interpretation of EKG Death Case

Illinois Appellate Court Affirms Verdict for Hospital in Medical Malpractice Suit that Alleged Negligence in the Death of a 2-Year-Old Child